Tuesday, May 31, 2011

On decorating - let's rethink the porch


Let's hear it for the summer!!!  Ok well, I know summer hasn't officially started yet, but any temps above 60 degrees are clearly worth celebrating.  It was one tough winter.

This year I am inspired to re-arrange the screened-in porch.  I am not sure if it's being driven by my excessive case of cabin fever or my recent trip to the Brimfield Antique Fair (post 5/25).  Either way, I am excited about what might result by playing around with a new layout and a few new accessories.

Step 1: Anchoring the room
Since the wicker couch is the largest piece of furniture, I decided to let it be the driver of the base layout.  Typically, I placed it on an angle in the far corner to provide a juxtaposition to the box-like space.  This year, I am deciding to embrace the existing dimensions and approach the space in a more symmetrical fashion.  As the pictures above and left indicate, I am positioning the couch along the far wall.  There is a divider column between the screens that acts as a natural centering point.  All of the other pieces will build out from this foundation.




Step 2: Adding the other dominant pieces
Going with the more traditional layout, the placement of the rug, coffee table and chairs is pretty simple.  The goal is to give the pieces space to breathe, yet also keeping them close enough for intimate conversation and functionality (e.g. within easy reach).  I guess the easiest rule of thumb is to consider the grouping as a "cluster" not an entire room "filler."

The easy chairs are a little over-sized so they were placed on an angle to the sofa (versus a more straight-on, side-by-side arrangement.)  Also if you notice the floor plan above, the entryway from the house is located behind the chairs.  Opening the chairs provides a more welcoming and inviting feel to the space.


Step 3: Finishing with accessories
The final step is now bringing in the cushions, pillows, end tables and other miscellaneous accessories.  While there is one (outside) floor lamp, I prefer the use of candles for most lighting situations.  I find pillar candles are best for outside use.  Tapers can too easily drip wax even in the slightest of breezes.  I keep the pillars in hurricane-type holders and enclosed lanterns.  Their designs seem to maximize the amount of light while protecting the flames from any wind

We picked up the indoor/outdoor rug at Target.  It's a great sisal-looking synthetic material that simply needs a hose to clean off.  Absolutely no worry of spills or wet weather.  

This year I also added a rustic sunburst mirror over the sofa.  I found it hidden in my parent's garage.  The frame is slightly rusty and the reflection is a little muddied.  A perfect little accent that helps complete the look

So start thinking of your own summer outside spaces.  Whether it's a porch, deck, patio or balcony, there are so many options to consider.  To make it more comfortable.  To make it more stylish.   To make it more efficient.  But most importantly, to make it more your own.

Till the next time...

PS.  One reader has requested a post on selecting bed linens.  If you have any additional ideas or comments, feel free to send them along!