Sunday, April 22, 2012

On renovating a bathroom - moving past go


The project is now moving into action. All the prep work is complete. The contractors each walked the space and made their own notes to the bid specs provided. Now came the numbers.

I have to admit. Waiting for the numbers almost feels like you are waiting for the college acceptance letter. You've applied. Put together a complete packet. Comfortable with what you know, but uncomfortable with the fact your future lies in the hands of someone else.

I guess I should say the numbers came in...um, sigh...as expected (or unexpected). They were more than budget - not just a little, but more than double. They just blew right by both those figures stated in the prelims and that little unspoken extra we were holding in our back pockets. I never quite understand how or why this happens. In my professional life, I know when a client begins suggesting additions in certain areas, a red flag goes up and I warn them that these little items will likely drive things over budget/estimate. I have yet to have this type of conversation with any contractor, on any project, ever. I never know if: 1.) they simply don't know, 2.) they are in the business of giving the client what they ask for, or 3.) they do this knowingly to possibly get the client to trade up. If you ask me? I think it's some quasi-combination of 2.) and 3.)...

Since both contractors numbers came in pretty close, we decided to move ahead with the one whom we determined was our best comrade-in-arms. So, now I like to say "the dance" begins.

What follows next is a doe-see-doe between options and costs. You enter a crash-course in construction materials, plumbing terms, types of insulation and man-hours. This is where you get a more concrete sense of your alignment with the contractor. Is he/she helping to solve or just providing information? Is he/she willing to explore options or just discouraging it? You get the picture. They need to demonstrate the right balance of exploring what's possible while guiding the process to a close. I don't envy them.

The first shoe to drop

We reach a number for the two baths. We agree to a start date (luckily it was pretty quick since it was before the Spring/Summer crush.) In my mind, let's go!

We're casually talking about the demo scheduled to begin the next week and I pose (in my mind) a simple question - "So, which bath are we doing first?"

Silence.

The contractor then replies, "the bid was based on both being done simultaneously." Something about efficiences, labor..

Silence.

Um, while we have other 1/2 baths in the house, "these are the only ones that have bathing facilities. And what are we supposed to do for the projected 6-8 weeks?"

Silence.

More silence.

The solution.

Hyeah. Welcome to our lavish setting in the middle of the cellar floor. It was the only location that had access to both water lines and adequate drain connection/slope.

We now have to shower in the field-stone/unfinished cellar. Two flights below the bedroom.

Oh what adventure awaits....







So the demo begins. Till the next time...